Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gluten

So.  I'm sensitive/intolerant/allergic/whatever to gluten.  

First, I shall vent.  Here we go:

I'm mad.  I'm angry.  I'm PISSED.

Gluten is in everything.  Not really, but it sure appears that way right now.

I hate drawing attention to myself in restaurants.
I hate asking for a gluten-free menu.
I hate discussing my food allergy with strangers.
Eating out, just the thought of it, gives me anxiety.
I'm now a burden on society! Ah!

Have you ever had a freaking bun-less hamburger in public?  Yeah, I have.  It's weird.  And your friends stare in awe as you you eat it.

Now I'll get real.  Here we go again:

If one continues to eat gluten even though they are sensitive, they can/will develop celiac disease where one's small intestine gets so severely damaged that nutrients are no longer absorbed from food.  I don't want that.

Hence, I'm glad to know that gluten is one of the main reasons I've continued to feel so crappy.

So in the end, I'll do what it takes.  But it's not going to be easy getting used to this.

Any gluten-free restaurant suggestions, recipes, or other various product suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Jason

Those of you on
Facebook, "Follow" me at http://jasonhoggan.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

  1. My Mom was diagnosed a few years ago, and I know she can relate exactly to a lot of what you mention here. Gluten free restaurants are tough. If you get someplace local, or a good chef, it can be a huge help, but a lot chains suffer from either cross contamination, or a very limited amount of menu options. One of our easier solutions has been fresh Mexican restaurants where you can get whatever you order with corn tortillas.

    I'm a cold cereal fanatic, so I am happy to report that Rice Chex went gluten free within the last few years, and Trix are also safe. We have relied heavily on Whole Foods (and similar stores) but have also found a fair number of good recipes. I just made a killer lasagna tonight that was gluten free.

    ReplyDelete